Community name: Tarnowskie Góry
Number of inhabitants: 61,500
Year of the program beginning: 2006
International Safe Communities Network Membership: Designation year: 2007
Community web-site address: www.tarnowskiegory.pl
Tarnowskie Góry- Application to Become a Member of the International Safe Community Network
Tarnowskie Góry City Office
42-600, Tarnowskie Góry, Poland
Telephone: +48 32 39 33 847
Fax: +48 32 39 33 602
The Program comprises safety promoting activities, as follows:
For age groups:
Children up to 14 years old:
- „Safe kindergarten” – recognition of situations dangerous for infants,
- „Healthy infant” – prevention of obesity and lack of movement activity – the program for kindergarten children,
- „Aged friend” – tenderness and respect for aged people, containment of egoism – the program for elementary school pupils,
- „Sport, why NO?” – Lack of trust in possibility to achieve success, inability to cope with school problems – the program for elementary and high school students,
- „I can swim” – familiarization of elementary school pupils with basics of safe use of swimming-pools, baths and lakes (basics of swim teaching),
- Youth common-room groups –containment of indifference and lack of respect for common property. Prevention of development of claim attitude towards state institutions, schools, common-rooms,
- Integration classes – prevention of callousness and indifference for disabled children problems, and of social exclusion – the program realized in selected elementary schools,
- „Street children” – the program assigned for children without care and endangered for social pathologies.
Young people from15 up to 24 years old:
- „Alcohol – juvenile enter forbidden” – the program makes it impossible to buy and sell alcohol for under-age persons,
- „I am safe” – formation of social attitudes,
- „Stop aggression in school and on the street” – the program of overcoming anger and aggression,
- formation of interest groups that assist creating activities,
- „First work” – preparation of youth for undertaking first job.
Adult: from 25 up to 64 year old:
- limitation of driving under alcohol influence occurrence,
- parents education on ways their children spend their free time,
- „Your child may take, too” – organization of talks (lectures) for parents on possibilities of the youth access to drugs,
- active rest - an easy access to sport facilities, movement elicitation,
- „I can help, too” – pre-medical 1st aid.
- development and advancement of caring services offer at a residence place through their adjustment to existing needs,
- organization of support group for families and guardians of persons with Alzheimer, Parkinson and other diseases,
- development and implementation of the program Substituting family for aged person as the alternative for social assistance homes,
- enrichment of the social assistance homes offer,
- support and partnership for the Third Age University,
- popularization of the idea of spending free time together – pensioners’ groups,
- „Spiritual” support” carried on by Roman Catholic Church priests and those of other religions.
At the following environments:
- You are not alone – organizing of free time for lonely persons, assistance for single mothers keeping their children,
- home visits carried on by welfare workers and volunteers respectively prepared to that end,
- save moving in his/her own flat – education for aged and disabled persons,
- training of population within common self defense – preparation of inhabitants for proper behave when different dangers occur.
- safe cycling – creation of new cycling paths,
- „Zebra crossings, crash helmets and reflectors” – popularization of the idea to use crash helmets , reflecting lights, reflecting stripes on clothes,
- safe way to school – educating children how to move over the roads,
- construction of new cross-roads free from possibility of collisions,
- making of next crosswalks with light signaling and improvement of street lighting in the city.
- „Entrepreneurs’ incubator” – advisory and organizational support for people who wish to start their own business,
- activation and keeping an unemployed ready to take a job. Maintenance or formation anew of „the everyday rituals”,
- tax allowances that make it possible for employers to create new jobs,
- occupational safety – education aimed at creation of „a fashion” of safe working style,
- first aid in emergency – educating of workers within ministrations of first pre-medical aid finished by acquiring a certificate of medical rescuer. Creation of the medical volunteers’ base with a possibility of using them during crisis events occurring on the city area.
- equalizing of educational and developmental chances of children from particularly sensitive families,
- program of fighting with malnutrition among children from the poorest families,
- education of children and youth within save moving over the school and on the school sports fields during inter-lessons breaks,
- supervising by form masters and educators of children’s and youth’s behavior during inter-lesson breaks, and after lessons in order to eliminate negative behaviors,
- organization of sport lessons that integrate children and youth, for example, excursions and cycling tours.
- „I swim already”, „I am not afraid of water” – certificates related to movement activity stimulating,
- activating students to take part in School Sport Groups activities,
- „Sport field nearer” – forming new sport objects,
- „Sane spirit in healthy body” – propagating of movement activity as a form of health protection and balanced psychical and physical development of children and youth.
- „Holiday Semi-camps in the city” - alternative forms of spending free time by children and young people staying in the residence during holidays,
- propagating of spending free time with a whole family,
- „Dancing hall does not always mean attractive play” – increasing young people sensitiveness to social risks present in pubs and dancing halls,
- safe playgrounds on housing districts, parks, and other places,
- promoting of safe forms of playing,
- using of educational infrastructure in afternoon hours (interest groups),
- surrounding of children from endangered families by educational and psychological care – creation of socio-therapeutic common-rooms in quarters.
Prevention of violence:
- running of Consulting point for victims of crime and violence,
- counteracting of violence in a family and delivery of protected flats for victims of violence,
- running of crisis intervening point,
- propagation of fee-free „Sznupek info-line” – the police reliance phone, where children and young people may signal facts of violence against them within the circle of same age people and within the family,
- „Blue card” – realization of the program to counteract violence in the family and negligence and abandonment of children by parents who abuse alcohol.
Prevention of suicides – conducted currently by due institutions.
Programs aimed at „High risk groups”
- work with endangered families and afflicted with dysfunctions,
- trainings and preventive actions, as well as monitoring of situation prevailing in families (of the high risk groups),
- improvement of co-operation of interdisciplinary units which tasks is to recognize, diagnose and versatile assistance to endangered child and family,
- improvement of support system for people dependant on alcohol, medicines and drugs.
In the nearest future it is foreseen to prepare a system of obtaining from city’s institutions information on accidents in order to express the problem statistically. As for today there are carried on registers of accidents in health service and education institutions.
In 2006 there were 99 accidents in elementary and high schools.
Year of beginning: 2000
Publications: there are no publications.
Issued information materials, book-lets:
- multimedia materials: used by the Tarnogórski Center of Dependence Therapy, Preventive Treatment and Psychological Assistance (TOTU) for popularization and assistance during resolving of inhabitants problems, published by the Institute of Health Psychology and Sobriety – State Scientific Publisher PWN and Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology (8 copies),
- bimonthly “Therapy of Dependence and Co-dependence” – issued by the State Agency for Resolving Alcohol Problems and the Foundation “Health and Sobriety”,
- bimonthly “Blue Line” - issued by the Institute of Health Psychology,
- monthly: “World of Problems” and “Remedy” – issued by the State Agency for Resolving Alcohol Problems,
- monthly paper “Tarnogórski Culture Guide-book TCK” – issued by the TCK,
- “guide-book on places of assistance for people with alcohol problem” – issued by the TORET,
- “Drug addiction” – issued by the Silesian Voivodeship Office,
- “Recommendations for realization of financing of a commune programs of alcohol problems preventing actions and resolving” - issued by the State Agency for Resolving Alcohol Problems.
- booklets and leaflets:
- monthly booklet “Repertoire of the Tarnogórski Culture Centre (TCK)” – issued by the TCK,
- Leaflet TOTU – its own publication,
- “Guide for parents, and children – alcohol, drugs, violence. How to prevent them”, “Alcohol steals liberty”, “Scenario of the meeting with parents, that is a preventive parents-teacher meeting”, “Leaflet for sellers and shop and local owners, in which alcohol is served” – issued by issued by the State Agency for Resolving Alcohol Problems,
- Leaflet of the Abstainer Club ”Aurora” – issued by the Tarnowskie Góry commune.
way of employing: work contract
working time load: full (actions connected to carrying issues of the Safe Community are realized as one of tasks within duties)
Organization: Tarnowskie Góry City Office
- Crisis Management Department
City Mayor - Mr. Arkadiusz Czech
Promoting working group – representatives:
group leader – Ms Jolanta Tuszyńska – Deputy City Mayor for Social Affairs
+ unit of the City Office: 5 persons,
education and sport – 3 persons,
leader: Mr. Mieczysław Orgacki
health problems – 2 persons
leader: Mr. Wiesław Rycerski
Police – 2 persons
leader: Mr. Artur Wieczorek
State Fire Service – 1 person
leader: Mr. Piotr Pichura
social assistance – 2 persons
leader: Ms Urszula Tomiczek
County Unemployment Office – 1 person
leader: Ms Joanna Żuk
Roman Catholic Church – 1 person
leader: rev. Eugeniusz Bienek
social organizations – 1 person
leader: Mr. Mieczysław Dubieński
- Assumptions and aims of the program Safe Communities - Brenna 2005
- Role of the Safe Communities in bu